Friday, August 24, 2007

Fire at Burger King started in mulch

The Courier-Journal, Monday, July 16, 2007

St. Matthews firefighters put out a fire at the Burger King at 4030 Shelbyville Road about 12:40 this afternoon.

The fire started after a patron waiting in line at the drive-through most likely dropped a cigarette butt into some mulch, said St. Matthews Fire Chief Bill Seng. The mulch caught fire and then spread to the wood siding of the building.

The business was full of lunch-time customers, who were evacuated safely along with all employees, Seng said.

Firefighters checked the wall and ceiling for fire. Minor damage was done to the building but the restaurant had to be shut down while the damage was assessed and the building then inspected by the health department, Seng said.

Lyndon Fire Protection District trucks also responded to assist St. Matthews.


(Link to story - follow this link to the posted story, then read the comments after - not sure how people miss the point: it's not anti smoking, it's anti littering. Tossing a butt out the window is the same as throwing a burger wrapper or coke can - compounded by the fact that it is on fire. This type of behavior is so easily avoided that you have to wonder if the culprits' (those doing the littering) are really that stupid, ignorant, mentally ill or just filled with such apathy that they cannot tell the difference between what is right and what is wrong.

No comments: